Archive for the ‘Listed Buildings in Ipswich’ Category

St Thomas’s Church

Listed Buildings in Ipswich: No 34 St Thomas’s Church

St Thomas's Church by Chevblue

Ipswich’s latest listed building is St Thomas’s Church on Bramford Lane which was awarded Grade 2 Listed status by English Heritage just this week. Sitting amidst Victorian terraces and 1930s semi’s on the west side of Ipswich is was built two years before WWII on land donated by Edward Coleby Ransome, one-time Mayor of the town, and was designed by the prolific ecclesiastical architect Nugent Cachemaille-Day.

Advertisements

St Lawrence Church

Listed Buildings in Ipswich: No 33 St Lawrence Church

St Lawrence ChurchSt Lawrence, a grade 2* listed church, sits on Dial Lane right in the heart of Ipswich town centre. Closed and declared redundant as a place of worship in the 1970’s it was restored by the borough council at a cost of £1.2M and reopened as a community centre in 2008. In September of the following year the church bells were returned to the tower after an absence of a quarter of a century. The bells, all cast in the 1440’s, are the oldest circle of five bells in the world!

View larger image in my Flickr stream.

Ipswich Museum and neighbourhood

Ipswich Museum

Art Museum

Listed Buildings in Ipswich: No 30 Ipswich Museum and No 31 Art Gallery

The original Ipswich Museum – now Arlingtons Brasserie – stands on the corner of Arcade Street and Museum Street. It opened in 1847 but its various collections soon outstripped the space available to display and store them and by 1881 a new Ipswich Museum had been built on the High Street half-a-mile away. This new building also housed the School of Art and the Free Library but once again its contents continued to outgrow the space available and it was first extended in 1887 and then had a new wing added in 1901.

The library relocated to what is now the Ipswich County Library on Northgate Street in 1924 but what is left behind is by no means watered down. The main entrance hall is, I would imagine, pretty much as it was when first opened and is stuffed to the gunnel’s with exhibits, starting with the impressively big Wooly Mammouth that towers over you as you first enter. Natural History is the key theme but there are as equally excellent exhibits focusing on Ipswich at War, abolitionist Thomas Clarkson, Anglo-Saxon life, and so and so forth.

Salem Chapel

Listed Buildings in Ipswich: No 32 Salem Chapel, St George’s Street

Originally constructed as a chapel this 19th century two storey red brick building later became a storage area for the Ipswich Museum and Art Gallery (which it backs on to) and is now the New Wolsey Studio a performing arts venue and offshoot of the town’s New Wolsey Theatre. The original baptism pool survives below the present day flooring and stage.

Globe Inn

Listed Buildings in Ipswich: No 33 Globe Inn, St George’s Street

At the town center end of St George’s Street this 17th century timber framed building with jettied upper floor is now in residential use but was at one time the Globe Inn. The Inn called “last orders” way back in 1958 but, despite an excellent restoration job by the Ipswich Building Preservation Trust, you can you can still make out the words ‘Cobbold’s Ales & Spirits’ – or something very similar – in the plasterwork on the front.

Ipswich Art School

Ipswich Art School

Just to the north of Ipswich Museum, the Ipswich Art School opened as a public art gallery just last year although, as its name suggests, the building operated as an art school for many years. Opened in 1934, when the school outgrew its original accommodation adjacent to Ipswich Museum, most of Suffolk’s professional artists from the past century have passed through its doors either as student of teacher. It is currently hosting an exhibit entitled “Roadside Britian – On the Road” a photography reportage of traditional roadside services throughout the South of England.

Christchurch Mansion

Listed Buildings in Ipswich: No 29 Christchurch Mansion

Christchurch Mansion

It’s been awhile since my last ‘listed buildings in Ipswich’ post so to resume the series here is a shot of Christchurch Mansion. A short walk from the town centre, at the southern end of Christchurch Park, the mansion was built by Sir Edmund Withipoll between 1548-50 on the site of what was once the Priory of the Holy Trinity. In later years it was owned by the Cobbold family who bequeathed it to the Borough Council in 1895. The mansion is now a Museum and Art Gallery and home to the largest collection of the works of Gainsborough and Constable outside of the capital. Although the upper floors were rebuilt following a fire in 1670, and a wing added during the Victorian era, the ground floor and red brick exterior remain more or less as they were when first constructed. One of the jewels of Ipswich.

Felaw Street Maltings

Listed Buildings in Ipswich: No 28 Felaw Street Maltings

Felaw Street Maltings

A dominant structure on the Ipswich waterfront the Felaw Street Maltings are a pair of seven storeys buildings each with six equally tall kiln towers. Built in 1904 and 1911, respectively, they were Grade II listed in 1972 but fell into a state of such disrepair that by 1984 they had been placed on the buildings at-risk register. They have since been fully restored to become one of the largest surviving maltings in East Anglia. More here.

Church of St Mary, Whitton

Listed Buildings in Ipswich: No 27 Church of St Mary Whitton

Church of St Mary, Whitton

St Mary’s was once the parish church of Whitton. It’s rectory still survives as do a few 18th and 19th century buildings but the hamlet was long ago engulfed by a huge housing estate as the Borough of Ipswich and its population marched northwards in the 1950’s. An area that in 1841 had a population of 422 today supports one that hovers around the 25,000 mark. More here.

Ipswich and East Suffolk Hospital Entrance Block

Listed Buildings in Ipswich: No 26 Ipswich and East Suffolk Hospital Entrance Block

Ipswich and East Suffolk Hospital Entrance Block

Built for a total cost of £4,148 the Ipswich and East Suffolk Hospital opened in 1836 and over its two-storeys had an initial capacity of just fifty beds. Over the years the hospital expanded significantly although it’s role as the primary hospital for the Ipswich area ended with opening of the Heath Road Hospital and it is now the BUPA maintained Anglesea Heights Nursing Home. What was once the main entrance to the hospital, with its four lofty columns, is lit up at night showing the late Georgian building off in quite dramatic fashion.