Football Statues No 39 (in a series of several): Stadio Comunale World Cup Memorial, Turin, Italy
Erected to honor the exploits of the Italian national team of the 1930’s – who won back-to-back World Cups in 1934 and 1938, and gold at the 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin – this memorial statue was, at one time, located just a matter of yards away from the Stadio Comunale in Turin.
This picture is from the 1990 edition of Simon Inglis’ The Football Grounds of Europe but it appears that the statue may well have been moved to another location since (an exhaustive search of the web has failed to prove or disprove this). The stadium itself began life in 1932 as the Stadio Mussolini, later becoming the Stadio Comunale and, after reconstruction for the 2006 Winter Olympics, the Stadio Olimpico di Torino. It now plays host to Seria A side Juventus and Torino of Seria B.