Football Statues No 36 (in a series of several): Sam Bartram (1914 – 1981)
Sam Bartram began his playing career at Boldon Villa in his native North East, as the Accidental Groundhopper explains, moving to Charlton Athletic in 1934 and becoming the Addicks first-choice goalkeeper for the next twenty-two years. He played a total of 623 games for the club during which they won the Division Three (S) Championship (1935), finished as Division Two runners-up (1936), FA Cup finalists (1946) and FA Cup Winners (1947).
Charlton’s centenary celebrations in 2005 saw the erection of this statue outside their Valley ground. Bartram’s daughter unveiled the statue and also donated a collection of her late father’s papers to the club. The papers, which included press cuttings and photos charting his career as a footballer, and his wartime service in the RAF, have been used as the basis for an animated film entitled “Bartram, THE BLITZ and Beyond”, a rather nice film that is being used as a learning tool by primary school children in the Charlton area.