Listed Buildings in Ipswich: No 17 Gipping House, Dock Street
Suffolk has historically produced some of the best malting barley in the country and malt has been processed in the county town of Ipswich for many hundreds of years. Back in the middle ages it was one of the most important trades in the town, so important that only freemen of the borough were permitted to produce it.
Gipping House on Dock Street, which is now a warehouse and offices, dates from the late 18th/early 19th century. In its early years it was used as an infantry barracks, but became, in 1849, one of many buildings in the town to be converted into maltings. Lettering on the brickwork at the east end of the premises suggests that as a maltings it was owned and operated by Edward Fison Ltd one of the first British companies to produce malt extract for brewers and bakers.
In more recent years the building was home to the London Underground computer centre. While the centre has since moved elsewhere an Underground sign can still be seen above one of the water facing windows.