The Ipswich War Memorial is located in Christchurch park a few hundred metres to the west of Christchurch Mansion. Designed by Manchester architect Edward Adams it was unveiled on Saturday 16th May 1924 and contained the names of the 1,481 from Ipswich who died in ‘The Great War’.
Although a plaque was added to commemorate those who fell in the Second World War it was not until exactly eighty years after the original unveiling that the individual names of those from Ipswich who had died in the conflict (and there were over six hundred) were added, and on May 10th 2009 the memorial was further updated to include the names of local service men and women who have lost their lives since.
The military equipment depicted on the front of the memorial “symbolises the putting away of the impedimenta of war”.
The monument is one of over 600 listed buildings in Ipswich, but more on that in a later post.